Our Limon Highlight Tour
A great, all-encompassing tour of Costa Rica! Enjoy a "6 in 1 tour" with a professional naturalist tour guide, who will introduce you to the most important aspects of the Afro-Caribbean Culture of Costa Rica, and show you the rich wildlife of this fascinating region.
During this tour you will enjoy:
1) City Tour: History records that in 1502 Christopher Columbus landed in Costa Rica at the place known as Puerto Limón. The country's port has much import and export traffic. The city's old quarter has the characteristics of a historical center and is currently under urban renovation with restoration of buildings and a pedestrian walkway from Vargas Park to the market.
2) Sloth Sanctuary: At only 45 minutes from the pier, you will have the opportunity to enjoy and learn more about the rich flora and fauna of the Caribbean slope of Costa Rica in the only one reserve with an unique rehabilitation center for Sloths. The center take care of dozens of this animals and during the tour, you will have the opportunity to learn about their ecology, behaviour, habitat, population status and many other facts about this species. This center is located in a beautiful rain forest with more than 200 acres of land, where you will enjoy beside the sloth’s, monkeys, iguanas and 255 species of colourful birds. During a nature walk into the rain forest, learn about medicinal plants. Imagine discovering new fragrances, new flavours and the origins of some that you have already experienced, but have not known much about -and doing this in the middle of the exuberant rainforest, surrounded by an intense array of wild leaves and flowers. Imagine learning about an almost unbelievable diversity of plants, and tasting exotic fruits that you didn’t even know existed. The birds benefit from all this diversity that supports a proliferation of wild birds in the area, including the gorges Toucans and dozens of tanagers Walking through the rain forest without a naturalist guide would be overwhelming, so you will be accompanied by a one of our guides, who will make the forest come alive for you.
3) Visit a Banana plantation for outside, our guide will provide you many interesting facts about this amazing fruit will be explained, including the crop, harvesting, processing, packing and exportation. Costa Rica is the second largest banana producer in the world, with more than 106,000 acres of plantations devoted exclusively to banana production, and 80% of the plantations are located in Limon province, which has become one of the most important economic activities in the region. This is a very interesting cultural experience that you can’t miss.
4) Coastal Drive: Enjoy the beautiful scenery of Puerto Limon coastline during the bus drive to the different attractions.
5) Cahuita national park: The Jungla Trail offers a 1 km trek through a secondary forest offering beautiful landscapes, various flora and fauna, and including many opportunities to see the remarkably fascinating different frog species of Costa Rica, for example the red dart frog (dendrobates pumillo). Inside the trail, among the abundant fauna visitors may witness the 3 toed sloths and see the different species of birds: Toucans, Oropendola, Tanagers, Hummingbirds, kiskidees and much more, squirrels, and the majestic butterflies that swarm through the trail. The creeks which appear during the trail, add a crisp freshness to the air, yet more importantly enable the reproduction of many of the organisms living there. For example these creeks create the perfect atmosphere for the various types of frogs you will encounter, allowing the perfect place for egg laying. You will witness the beautiful flora, such as the epífites, orchids and bromeliads as well as other ground level plants with various sized leaves appearing in their plenty. The different species of trees ranging from young to old, small to large, serve as homes to many of the creatures being large mammals to tiny insects. These trees as you will witness are also adorned by the lianas that hang from the branches.
6) Enjoy the Souvenirs Stores & Shopping: During our Limon Highlights tour, you will enjoy many different souvenirs stores. The Caribbean is full of diversity, and boasts many cultures: Afro-Costa Rican, Bribri and Cabécar, Asian, Italian and Central American, among others. Besides food, the region features a collection of cultural activities and traditions that also set it aside from the rest of the country.
This tour is designed to help you become an expert on the rich cultural heritage and ecological resources of the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica.After all this adventure, our guide will give you two options, you can eat in a restaurant with a panoramic view of Limon or a restaurant on the beach, (lunch not included).
This tour include
- Entrance fee
- Pick up and drop off
- $99 per person
- Bilingual tour guide
- 6 hours